Saturday, June 28, 2014

Carpe Diem #501, Strawberry


Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

Another nice summer kigo by Jane Reichhold, strawberry, and here are haiku which she used for example(s):

open fields
on the tip of his tongue
a strawberry


tasting
of wild strawberries
your tongue
our tongues
strawberries tasting
each other


© Jane Reichhold

The first thing I thought of as I prepared this episode was a song from Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band ... Strawberry Fields Forever ... by The Beatles.


Isn't it a wonderful piece of music? I am not a big fan of The Beatles, but they have for sure great songs.

I have sought they Internet for other songs on strawberries, but I didn't found other songs or musical compositions about strawberries, maybe you know other songs?
Credits: Strawberries
little red queens
tastefull and attractive
strawberry field


© Chèvrefeuille

And there is the other meaning of Strawberry to which the song by The Beatles refers at a location near Central Park West between 71st and 74th Streets. Strawberry Fields is a 2.5 acre area of Central Park that pays tribute to the late Beatle, John Lennon, singer, songwriter, musician and peace activist.
John Lennon and his wife Yoko Ono lived in the Dakota Apartments adjacently located to this area of the park. It was here, walking into his home, on December 8, 1980, that John Lennon was murdered and shot dead.
 


Credits: Strawberry Fields
To commemorate his life, talents and memory, on March 26, 1981, City Council Member Henry J. Stern designated this area, the couple's favourite in Central Park, as Strawberry Fields.  Named after the title of the Beatles' song "Strawberry Fields Forever," the teardrop shaped region was re-landscaped by the Central Park Conservancy with the help of landscape architect Bruce Kelley and a generous $1 million donation from Yoko Ono.
Credits: Imagine
The iconic black and white Imagine mosaic, designed by a team of artists from the Italian city of Naples, lies in the centre of Strawberry Fields.  Named after another famous song by John Lennon, "Imagine" evokes a vision and hope for a world without strife, war and conflict. Additionally, there is a bronze plaque that lists the more than 120 countries that planted flowers and donated money for the maintenance of the area; they have also endorsed Strawberry Fields as a Garden of Peace.
Credits: Central Park New York "Strawberry Fields".
What a wonderful place this must be ... this Strawberry Fields memorial park for John Lennon. And to conclude this episode of Carpe Diem Haiku Kai I love to share the song "Imagine" by John Lennon with you all.
 
And here are the lyrics of this wonderful song by John Lennon:
IMAGINE
 
Imagine there's no heaven
It's easy if you try
No hell below us
Above us only sky
Imagine all the people living for today
Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion too
Imagine all the people living life in peace
You, you may say
I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one
I hope some day you'll join us
And the world will be as one
 
Credits: I am a dreamer
Imagine no possessions
I wonder if you can
No need for greed or hunger
A brotherhood of man
Imagine all the people sharing all the world
You, you may say
I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one
I hope some day you'll join us
And the world will live as one

I like this song and I have tried to re-built it into a haiku ... not an easy task, but I think I have succeeded.

imagine a world
without grief and pain, without war -
strawberry field
strawberry field
I dream about a world in peace
were all are one
© Chèvrefeuille
This episode is open for your submissions tonight at 7.00 PM (CET) and will remain open until July 1st at noon (CET). I will try to post our new episode, sunflower, later on. For now .... have fun ... be inspired and share your haiku with us all here at our Haiku Kai.

 

4 comments:

  1. Hope you don't mind...I went a bit less serious with my link-up today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved your haiku - and the tribute to John Lennon's visions. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely homage to the Beatles especially John Lennon. I was pregnant of my daughter when he was murdered. Such a tragic loss and yes, he was my favourite of the Beatles too. I loved his poetry and his writing inspired me as a teen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I went with your top prompt of (literal) Strawberries which were part of our life - getting up early (as a little girl) in the summer to collect berries, jumping in the car early to go to the berry stand to get breakfast, making fresh shortcake...

    ReplyDelete