Thursday, September 25, 2014

Carpe Diem "Little Creatures" #6, Lizard


Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

This week's "Little Creatures" is about Lizards. I have several books about haiku and sought them all through  for a haiku about Lizards, I just came up with one written by Raizan (1654-1716) and that's the one which I love to share here for this new episode of "Little Creatures".

dezu to yoi tokage wa hito wo odorokasu

lizard,
if only you wouldn't come out, -
you frightened me

© Raizan

This is a common experience with all kinds of creatures, even with human beings. We do not mind such things existing, if only they would not pop out and make us jump. In this kind of unreasonable attitude, in the very unreasonableness of it, there is something poetical. (Strictly speaking, this verse refers to the "coming-out" of the lizard at the beginning of spring.)

As I told you above I cannot recall other "lizard"-haiku, so I went on a major quest for a few more on the Internet. I found a nice haiku written by a Lebanese haiku poet Paul Jahshan in 1992:

a cool December morning;
in the courtyard the lizard and I:
both in the sun

© Paul Jahshan

Credits: Lizard (©Chiraykoo)
And another one written by Chiraykoo, an urban shaman, for the New Year 2012:

lizard, walk with me
futures both shadow and bright,
dreaming creation

© Chiraykoo

And I found another lizard-haiku by a modern haiku-poet Ertore José Palmero (1923 -). It's more about a handmade lizard by a goldsmith:

undisturbed but watchful,
the lizard resembles
goldsmith's masterpiece.


© Ertore José Palmero

And I found another haiku about lizard(s):


The sun awakens
To drink the dews of dark night
Lizards seek fresh shade


To conclude this selection of "lizard"-haiku a gorgeous Haiga by Ed Bremson:

Credits: Lizard (haiga) © Ed Bremson

I couldn't find haiku about lizard composed by classic haiku-poets, but maybe you can find one or two ...

This episode of "Little Creatures" was about lizard and now the goal is to write your own (classic)-haiku about lizard (or Chameleon, Salamander or another little reptile). Your haiku has to follow the classical counting of 5-7-5 syllables ... and that's the only classical rule you have to use for this episode.

Here is my attempt:

slipping through my fingers,
like the colors of the rainbow,
collared lizard

© Chèvrefeuille

Credits: Common Collared Lizard © Dakota L.
This episode is NOW OPEN for your submissions and will remain open until next Thursday October 2nd at noon (CET). Have fun ... be inspired and share!


No comments:

Post a Comment